The Gathering Place Co-op is a unique cooperative of farmers and growers with a shared goal of providing sustainable ways to bring local food directly to the Northern Alberta region. The Co-op offers locally grown produce, meats, breads, eggs and dairy products, both as commodities and as prepared meals.
We are looking for a motivated Lead Chef to lead the food service team, based out of our rural location North of Waskatenau Alberta.
The Lead Chef will manage a dynamic kitchen that will serve a retail store and online sales program, as well as a bistro. This position is accountable for general oversight of the kitchen and ensures that quality, consistency and service standards are met/followed/in alignment with Co-op standards. The Lead Chef controls and directs all food preparation processes and leads a dynamic food service team.
Leadership of Food Service Team
- Supports the recruitment and onboarding process of the food service team;
- Organizes and directs day-to-day work of the kitchen;
- Oversees team performance and provides managerial support;
- Maintains/signs off on attendance and payroll records;
- Ensures that training requirements are established and met, and supports training and/or development activities of the team;
- Monitors productivity, workloads and staffing structure and provides recommendations to the Board;
- Ensures compliance with all food/nutrition and sanitation regulations and safety standards;
- Manages ordering and inventory of equipment, supplies and food.
Menu Development (Seasonal Menu)
- Develops recipes and menus and carries out appropriate food costing;
- Ensures that seasonal menus provide variety, quality and maximize availability of seasonal ingredients;
- Provides daily, weekly and monthly cost reports.
- Journeyman or interprovincial Red Seal Certificate is required, along with a minimum of 3-5 years experience as a Sous Chef, kitchen manager, or senior kitchen position;
- Experience directing/leading a food service team;
- Demonstrated experience planning menus, and coordinating orders and inventory;
- Strong understanding of kitchen/food safety and sanitation requirements, and completion of Food Safety courses;
- Extensive knowledge of menu costing, production and wage cost controls;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Current knowledge of culinary trends and optimized kitchen processes;
- Preference will be given to candidates with meat cutting knowledge, and/or experience with baking and pastry.
The Lead Chef provides a high degree of culinary expertise to The Co-op and fosters an environment of cooperation and respect. This is a leadership position that may require work outside of standard hours.
The Gathering Place Co-op offers a competitive compensation and benefit package, commensurate with experience.
The Gathering Place Co-op is located 5.5 miles north of the Hwys 28 and 831 intersection (North of Waskatenau).
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org The posting will remain open until February 15, 2021. The Gathering Place Co-op thanks all applicants for their interest.